Thursday, February 11, 2010
1 pound 88% lean ground beef
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
1 can (4.5 ounce) chopped green chilies
1/2 large ripe avocado
2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon finely minced garlic
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
4 whole-grain hamburger buns
4 large leaves romaine lettuce
4 large slices tomato
1. Combine ground beef with chili powder and green chilies. Shape into 4 patties.
2. Grill over medium heat, turning once, until beef burgers are 155° F to 160° F.
3. While burgers cook, mash avocado in small bowl and mix with cilantro, garlic and lime juice.
4. Serve burgers on whole-grain buns topped with lettuce, tomato and avocado-lime spread.
I kicked up the guacamole a bit by adding chopped tomatoes, black pepper and several dashes of hot sauce. The chipotle chili powder and green chilis in the patties really gives these burgers a bit of heat. We had these burgers with chipotle spiced sweet potato fries which were the perfect accompaniment. I also just threw these on the Foreman Grill because Jake was busy finishing up the painting in the baby's room! YAY!
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
The freakish looking white blob is sour cream and some shredded cheese. The chili definitely stood on its own and didn't need any accompaniment, but I liked how the sour cream made it just a bit creamier.
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups prepared enchilada sauce
2 (14.5 oz) cans tomatoes with seasoning
2 (15 oz) cans pinto or kidney beans, undrained
1 onion, diced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1. Pour enchilada sauce and canned tomatoes into the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker.
2. Add beans, celery, onion and spices. Stir to combine. Place chicken on top.
3. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until flavors have combined.