Monday, November 2, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

I haven't had any crazy cravings since being pregnant. Except for one undeniable one for Sour Patch Kids...they tasted just as good as I remembered they did back in elementary school! This is all much to Jake's disappointment...he's more than willing to run out in the middle of the night for a Wendy's Spicy Chicken or whatever it may be. Maybe he'll get his chance soon enough. Anyway, what I've really been wanting are good old fashioned comfort foods...like pot roast, macaroni and cheese and chicken pot pie. Yum!

So I tried my hand at an easy, homemade chicken pot pie and loved the results!


(Source: Cottage Living, January 2005)

1/2 cup butter
2 small leeks or 1 small onion, chopped (I used an onion)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup frozen peas *
2 cups frozen baby corn blend *
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, divided
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/2 (15-ounce) refrigerated piecrust
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon water

**I just used 2.5 cups of a frozen mixed veggie blend including green beans, carrots, corn and lima beans. I also left out the fresh herbs and just used salt, pepper and some spices I had on hand.

1. Preheat oven to 400°. Melt butter over medium heat. Sauté leeks or onions 7 minutes. Sprinkle flour over leeks or onions. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add peas, corn blend, parsley, 2 teaspoons dill, and chicken. Mix well. Pour into a greased 9-inch deep pie dish.

2. Whisk together egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water, and brush underside of crust edge with egg wash. Place crust, brushed side down, over pie; crimp or use back of fork to seal rim of crust around dish. Cut 4 to 5 vents in the pastry. Brush top with egg wash, and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon dill. Bake at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and mixture is bubbling.


This is definitely going in the "recipes to make again" file. It was so easy and would be a great way to put leftover veggies to great use!

1 comment:

Abby said...

I never had any pregnancy cravings, either. But I ate a LOT of French fries because they were about the only thing that tasted good to me! My son now loves them, too. Coincidence?

The crust on that pot pie looks perfect! My husband really likes this dish. I haven't made on in awhile!