Monday, October 5, 2009

Meatless Mexican Casserole

This is one of those simple, inexpensive and satisfying dishes that should really show up on our dinner table a lot more frequently. This is one of my go to recipes for pot lucks, office parties, etc and it makes a perfect meal to take to friends with a new baby! I plan to make another batch to freeze before our little one gets here too since it holds up really well in the freezer.

Mexican Vegetarian Casserole
(Source: Southern Living)

15.25oz can of whole kernal corn
15 oz can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
8 oz sour cream
8 oz picante sauce
2 cups cooked rice
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 bunch green onions (sliced)
2.25 oz can sliced black olives
2 cups shredded monterey jack

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl.

2. Spoon into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.

3. Top with remaining 3 ingredients.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Let cool before serving and it will hold together better!

(I usually just use 4 cups of a Mexican blend of shredded cheese because it is easier to find in the store.)

It won't look quite so appetizing when you are mixing everything together but trust the process...you'll have a delicious casserole in no time! :) We usually have it with a side of cornbread (the "fancy" kind you mix with creamed corn and sour cream is my favorite!) and the leftovers never last long!

If you are looking for more meatless ideas, I think this lasagna that Kara made looks incredible! It's on my list of recipes to make sooner rather than later!

2 comments:

ldw134 said...

This sounds great, Christie. I will definitely try it out.
~laura

Abby said...

FIRST: Congrats on your upcoming little one! They're such a blessing; becoming a mom is the greatest thing I've ever done. I wish you the best!

And yay for eating vegetarian. I try to do it ever so often to save the pocketbook AND the arteries!