Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tomato Pie

I was so excited that it was just 67 degrees when I left my house this morning!! Maybe Fall will find its way to Central Florida at some point after all!


But in the meantime, we are still enjoying some last remnants of summer including some deliciously ripe tomatoes. If you are fortunate to live somewhere where you're still getting some great tomatoes, I wholeheartedly recommend you make this tomato pie before it's too late!



Tomato Pie

1/2 15oz refrigerated pie crust

4-5 large ripe tomatoes, sliced and drained

1 bunch green onions

2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend

1/4-1/3 cup mayo

Fresh basil

1. Bake crust according to package directions (I skip this step...but if you want a crispier bottom crust I recommend you do bake the crust first).

2. Slice tomatoes and pat dry. Layer on pie crust. Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with chopped fresh basil and sliced green onions (I have substituted Italian Seasoning instead of fresh basil when I haven't had it on hand and it works well!). Continue layers until pie is full.

3. Combine cheese and enough mayo to make a stiff mixture (I usually use 1/3 cup). Spread over top of pie with a fork being sure to go all the way to the crust.

4. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You may have to cover the crust to keep it from browning too much if you prebaked it.

5. Let the pie cool slightly before slicing and it holds up much better!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Tomato pies have been everywhere this summer! We still have tomatoes coming in like crazy in the garden so maybe I'll finally get around to trying one! YUM

Abby said...

That looks SO southern and SO tasty! It would be a great brunch dish!