But in the meantime, we are still enjoying some last remnants of summer including some deliciously ripe tomatoes. If you are fortunate to live somewhere where you're still getting some great tomatoes, I wholeheartedly recommend you make this tomato pie before it's too late!
1/2 15oz refrigerated pie crust
4-5 large ripe tomatoes, sliced and drained
1 bunch green onions
2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
1/4-1/3 cup mayo
1. Bake crust according to package directions (I skip this step...but if you want a crispier bottom crust I recommend you do bake the crust first).
2. Slice tomatoes and pat dry. Layer on pie crust. Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with chopped fresh basil and sliced green onions (I have substituted Italian Seasoning instead of fresh basil when I haven't had it on hand and it works well!). Continue layers until pie is full.
3. Combine cheese and enough mayo to make a stiff mixture (I usually use 1/3 cup). Spread over top of pie with a fork being sure to go all the way to the crust.
4. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You may have to cover the crust to keep it from browning too much if you prebaked it.
5. Let the pie cool slightly before slicing and it holds up much better!