Sunday, July 19, 2009

Best Ever Banana Pudding

I think Paula Deen is the quintessential southern chef. Lots of butter, loads of fat, but seriously good food y'all. So a couple years ago when I was looking for a banana pudding recipe for a barbecue, her recipe archives were the first place I looked...and I never had to look any further. This is THE best banana pudding recipe you'll find. Trust me...I ate my fair share of the dessert during my time living in North Carolina!

I made this again just recently for a barbecue...something about pork bbq always makes me want banana pudding.

So here it is, Paula Deen's recipe for Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding. It's come a long way away from Nilla wafers! I do lighten it up a bit so the recipe you see below includes my modifications. I always make sure to only make it when I know I can give some away too!


6-8 ripe bananas, sliced
2 cups skim milk
1 5oz box instant French Vanilla pudding (vanilla works too if you can't find French Vanilla)
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 12oz container light frozen whipped topping
2 bags of Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies

1. Line the bottom of a 13x9x2 dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.

2. In a large bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld mixer.

3. In another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture.

4. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended.

5. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve!

1 comment:

Valerie & Krzysztof said...

I know why BBQ makes you want banana pudding! Hills! Man, that place was awful, wasn't it? Why did we go there every week? The banana pudding was pretty good...