Saturday, June 6, 2009

Southwestern Shrimp and Grits

My neighbor let me borrow her Bobby Flay Mesa Grill Cookbook and mentioned she thought I would enjoy looking through it. I haven't caught Bobby Flay's TV show too often but I'm going to have to make sure to tune in after flipping through this book! I flagged so many recipes I'd like to try...I hope she doesn't mind if I keep the cookbook for a while! :)

I tried Bobby's recipe for Sauteed Shrimp with Sweet Potato and Smoked Chile Grits and Green Onion Cilantro Sauce which is quite a mouthful! I was intrigued by the combination of ingredients and happened to have most of what I needed already in the kitchen which rarely seems to happen! I've always loved shrimp and grits but this might be hands down the best shrimp and grits recipe I've ever tasted! The grits are incredible and are worth making even if you don't make the shrimp to go with them!



1 large sweet potato

2 T canola oil
1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2.5 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 cup whole milk

2 t chipotle chile puree

Kosher salt

1.5 cups quick cooking grits

2 T unsalted butter
2-3 t honey

6 T olive oil

1 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined

Freshly ground black pepper


1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake sweet potato for 45-60 minutes or until tender.

2. Peel the sweet potato and puree the flesh in a food processor or ricer, set aside.

3. Heat the canola oil in a medium saucepan over med-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft (3-4 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the stock, milk, chipotle puree (just take a can of chipotles in adobo sauce and puree it in your food processor...it will keep for a month in the fridge because of the vinegar in the adobo sauce), and 2 t salt and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.

4. Stir in the sweet potato puree and cook, stirring often for 5 to 10 minutes, until smooth and thick. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and honey to taste. Cover and keep warm.

5. Heat 3 T olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook half of the shrimp until lightly golden and just cooked through (about 1-2 minutes per side). Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining olive oil and shrimp.

6. Spoon the grits into 4 shallow bowls and arrange the shrimp around the grits. Drizzle with the green onion cilantro sauce and sprinkle with green onion.

To make the green onion cilantro sauce, combine 1 cup sliced green onions (white and green parts), 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, 1 T Dijon mustard, 2 t honey in a food processor and puree. Season with salt and pepper. With the motor running, slowly add 1/2 cup canola oil and blend until emulsified. This can be made up to 8 hours in advance and refrigerated.


Bobby's original recipe also called for drizzling red chile oil over the top which I'm sure would have been awesome...but I didn't know where to find guajillo chiles to make it! :)

5 comments:

Daro Rupiawan said...

Extraordinary cake that you have to see. I'm interested with the cake, you can send cakes to indonesia I pay later

Southern Gal said...

That looks amazing! Also, I too am "interested with the cake."

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I first fell in love with grits about 10 yrs ago in NC. Now, you've got me hankering shrimp and grits somethin' fierce.

Abby said...

Grits are one of my favorite foods ever - no matter how they're cooked. (Even chilled then sliced and sauteed. YUM.) Also love the sweet potato.

Basha Kibiloski said...

My sister has made this for me and J! Isn't it delish? J said he had a great time this weekend. Wish I could've been there! Miss you and hope to see you soon! :)