Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mixed-Berry Dutch Baby

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw that title in my most recent copy of Food & Wine magazine? What the what?! Who's ever heard of a Dutch Baby?! Turns out, its a German oven-baked pancake...and its delicious!

OK, so admittedly its a little hard to tell exactly what you're looking at in the picture there. I was in a hurry to get it on the table for company so the photo is sorely lacking. But since I'll definitely be making this again, I'll try to get a better picture for you soon...deal?

Mixed-Berry Dutch Baby
Source: Food & Wine July 2009

**I substituted strawberries and blueberries for raspberries and blackberries in the original recipe

3 large eggs
1/2 t finely grated lemon zest
1/3 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 cups blueberries
4 T unsalted butter
Confectioners sugar for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 425 and heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over moderate heat.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the lemon zest, sugar and salt until combined. Add the flour and milk and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup each of the berries.

3. Melt the butter in the skillet and add the batter, spreading the fruit evenly. Bake in the center of the oven for 22 minutes, until the edges are browned and puffed and the center is lightly browned in spots.

4. Transfer skillet to a trivet and dust with confectioners sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with the remaining berries.

I also served this with sweetened Greek yogurt and homemade granola (this granola is SO good and SO easy...another winning recipe found by my friend Kara) It was a super tasty, super easy breakfast for company that was a little on the lighter side.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I love the name Dutch Baby. I've never made one, and I'm kind of holding out until my son is old enough to help. It sounds like such a kid-friendly breakfast!