Monday, March 16, 2009

Easy Italian Calzones

Back in our college town of Winston-Salem, NC (Go Deacs!) one of our favorite Italian restaurants was a little place called Elizabeth's (sounds like authentic Italian, right?).

It wasn't our favorite because of their stellar service...it always took an eternity to get your food, but hey, we were in college, where did we have to be?

What kept us coming back was their calzones. They were embarassingly large and absolutely stuffed with toppings...you could easily get 3 meals out of 1 of these calzones.

So when I saw a tube of Pillsbury pizza crust and some turkey pepperoni in the fridge over the weekend, I couldn't help but remember those calzones and then I had to have one.


To make these at home, I sauteed some green pepper and onion with 2 links of hot Italian chicken sausage (casings removed). I rolled out the tube of Pillsbury pizza crust (it's quite good when you don't have time to make your own crust) and cut it into 3 equal parts which I then rolled out into circles. I put some of our favorite marinara sauce down the center of each piece of dough (not too much or it will get soggy) and topped it with the sausage mixture, some turkey pepperoni and the Sargento brand Italian cheese blend. Then fold the dough to cover the filling and press the edges to seal (my technique here still needs some work as you can see in the photo). Bake on a greased baking sheet at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Top with grated parmesan and serve with marinara sauce for dipping!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds great. Ah, to be in college again with nowhere to be!!

Basha Kibiloski said...

Can I just say that this meal has "Jordan" written all over it?! I'm making it Sunday for him....I'll keep you posted on his rants/raves.

xo,
Barb