Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chicken Curry Pasta

I told you it was time to get creative since we're at the end of the month, at the end of the budget and taking a grocery store hiatus. The meal below was quick, inexpensive (especially since I already had everything...but the ingredients themselves are budget-friendly) and very good!

I based the recipe on one my mom described to me over the phone and then I added in a couple different twists based on what I had in the kitchen. I would have prefered to use wheat pasta but we were out...if you have it at home, I think it would really add to the flavor (and nutritional benefits) of this meal.

Chicken Curry Pasta

1/2 lb pasta
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
pepper
3 diced roasted red peppers (packed in water)
1 can Italian style diced tomatoes
1 small onion, diced
Shredded or diced cooked chicken (I used roughly the equivalent of a breast and a half)
Several halved cherry tomatoes

1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.

2. Combine the curry powder and salt in a small bowl along with a couple of turns from the pepper mill. Saute onions on medium high until they begin to soften...about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, red peppers, cherry tomatoes, chicken and spices, mixing to coat all ingredients with the tomatoes sauce and spices. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until everything is heated through.

3. Add the pasta to the chicken and curry mixture and toss to combine.

That's it! I hadn't cooked with curry in ages...after remembering how such a small amount of curry can go such a long way in terms of flavor, I'm definitely going to be looking for more ways to incorporate it into our meals.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Very resourceful recipe and sounds tasty! Is it time to go to the beach yet?!?!?!?