Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Broccoli Cheddar Egg Puff

I was (and remain) pretty excited about this recipe...my husband, not so much. But I see a lot of potential in this little egg bake where I'm pretty sure he just saw broccoli...a vile weed in his eyes.

Here's the recipe as I found it on startmakingchoices.com:

1-1/2 teaspoons Canola Oil
2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed, drained and chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1-3/4 cups fat free milk
1-1/2 cups Egg Beaters
1 cup reduced fat all-purpose baking mix
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat Cheddar cheese, divided

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, onion and red pepper; cook and stir 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat.

3. Combine milk, Egg Beaters, baking mix and about half of the cheese in large bowl. Beat with wire whisk until blended. Add vegetables; mix lightly.

4. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake 40 minutes. Sprinkle top with the remaining cheese. Bake another 10 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes.


I had fresh broccoli so I used that...and used a reduced fat Italian blend of shredded cheese since that's what I had in the fridge. I thought this turned out to be like a puffy omelet and just thought in the future it would be a great way to use up veggies we have lying around that are on the verge of getting too ripe. As I mentioned, Jake wasn't a big fan...but that just meant more leftovers for me which I thought worked equally well for dinner, breakfast or lunch! I think I might be able to change his mind if I leave out the broccoli next time!

No comments: