Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Baked Potato Eggs

Sounds weird, right? Well, they look kinda weird too...but they taste great!



I found this idea from Real Simple (their picture is WAY more appealing than mine!). At first, the ingredients seemed like such an odd combination to me. But then some of my favorite breakfasts are those skillet type deals with the hash browns, and sausage and eggs all mixed together...which is pretty much what you end up with here.

2 large baking potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 precooked turkey sausages, diced (I used 4 pieces of turkey bacon, crumbled)
4 large eggs

1. Heat oven to 400° F.


2. Scrub the potatoes and pierce each with the tines of a fork. Bake until fork-tender, about 45 minutes.


3. Carefully cut each potato in half. Scoop out the insides and stir in the butter and cheese. Fold in the sausages. Spoon the mixture back into the potato halves, creating a hollow in each center. Break 1 egg into each hollow.


4. Arrange on a baking sheet and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until set.

Such an inexpensive and hearty meal!! It definitely will serve 4...I was surprised at how full I was after 1 half of a baked potato...and the leftovers don't reheat all that well so I'll probably just half the recipe for the 2 of us next time.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You are so adventurous! I would have just flipped the magazine page- but this does sound great!