Thursday, February 26, 2009

Taco Soup/Chili

I've been trying to be more careful with how I'm spending our food dollars and trying to get the most bang for our buck. So in shopping good sales and using coupons, I've stockpiled quite a random assortment of items in the freezer, fridge and pantry. I've never been one of those cooks that can just look in the pantry and come up with something for dinner...I always have to have a carefully laid out menu. But I'm trying to get better about that. I'm hoping to skip a trip to the store at least once a month so we can use what we have at home.

So this week after perusing the kitchen, I thought I had the makings of what could be a really good taco soup! I think it turned out really tasty...slightly more on the chili side than the soup side due to its heartiness, but overall I was really excited with how this original creation turned out!!


Taco Soup
1lb lean ground beef
1 red pepper, diced
1/2 large sweet onion, diced
Taco Seasoning to taste
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
1.5 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery and onion
Small can diced green chilis
1 package frozen corn, thawed
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
8 dashes Texas Pete
1. Brown ground beef while sauteeing peppers and onions. Once beef is browned and veggies are tender-crisp, add taco seasoning, chili powders, cumin and garlic powder stirring until everything is coated.
2. Transfer beef and veggies to a large stock pot. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilis, corn, black beans and Texas Pete (I did not drain the tomatoes before adding but did drain the chilis). Let simmer over medium heat for at least 20 minutes or until ready to serve!
We topped ours with some shredded cheese, sour cream and sliced jalapenos! The chipotle chili powder really gave it a nice kick and the leftovers the next day were even better!

1 comment:

Kara said...

Funny - I have this exact type of soup on the menu (and last week made a random frozen ground turkey/tomatoes/veggies/brown rice concoction that immediately became Chris' most requested meal)! I trying to think of how to avoid the soup turning into chili, though - cause we had left-overs of that over whole wheat pasta Monday and I wanted to change it up. I might dare to add some chicken stock (would do veggie stock but that's not in the pantry) or water and pump up the seasonings so it's not watered down but still soupy? And thanks to Costco, a hearty helping of frozen organic mixed veggies will be thrown in, whether we like it or not. Regardless, I'm glad to hear it'll most-likely be edible cause you know original recipes are not my thing. :-)