Monday, February 9, 2009

Skinny Spinach Dip

You have got to try this dip. But a fair warning...once you do and you realize you can have spinach dip at home any time you want it, in no time, and you don't even have to feel guilty for eating it, you could very easily become obsessed.

This Spinach Dip was my latest trial from Hungry Girl's cookbook and as I'm finding with all her recipes, it did not disappoint!


Hungry Girl's Rockin Restaurant Spinach Dip

4 oz. Lifetime Fat Free Monterey Jack Cheese (or another fat-free white hard cheese, like Muenster or Mozzarella)
4 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
10 tsp. Kraft Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. shallots, chopped finely
6 tbsp. fat-free mayo
1 oz. light soy milk
1 – 10 oz. pkg. chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 oz. water chestnuts, chopped

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt your Monterey Jack over a low flame.

2. In a separate pan, saute garlic and shallots with some nonstick cooking spray.

3. Add soy milk to melted cheese, stirring continuously.

4. Next, add mayo, sour cream and parmesan into your cheese mixture, still stirring over low heat. Add your sauteed garlic and shallots, as well as water chestnuts. Add your well-drained, chopped spinach and mix thoroughly.

5. Spoon your dip into a medium-sized casserole dish and bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Voila! Your spinach-y masterpiece is complete. You may add salt and/or pepper if desired. Serves 6-8. (1/8 of the dip is 1 point)

I followed the recipe pretty closely...I did use regular skim milk instead of light soy because it's what I had at home. I also used a reduced fat cheese instead of a fat free...and it was closer to 6oz than 4oz. I found these Kraft blended cheese blocks (I think the one I used was swiss, monterey jack...and something else I can't remember) and it worked perfectly! So while my final version wasn't quite as skinny as Hungry Girl's it was still a very delicious, guilt-free snack.

1 comment:

Heather said...

sounds awesome! this is a keeper for sure! (too bad the ritas were not tasty!)