Friday, February 20, 2009

California Caviar

We're not talking fish eggs here, people. Instead, allow me to introduce you to one of my FAVORITE dips/appetizers ever. Not only is it delicious, but it really couldn't be any easier to make. I made some California Caviar this week to take over to a party a neighbor was having and picked this particular recipe because it is still homemade but fits into the hectic work week/rushed evenings.

So here's how you make California Caviar. You take 8 oz of your favorite Italian dressing, 6 oz crumbed feta cheese, 1 medium tomato (seeded and chopped), 1 small can of chopped green chile's, and 1 small can of chopped black olives. Mix it all together and throw in some cilantro to taste and then just let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. It is great served with corn chips and until last night, that's the only way I'd ever had it.

But then I had a brainstorm. We're getting to the end of the week, need to make a trip to the grocery store, and generally by this time in the week the dinner supplies are running a little low. What I did have on hand was some chicken and a little bit of the California Caviar I had set aside. So here's where I got really smart.


Turns out California Caviar makes an AMAZING topping for grilled chicken. It's based on Italian dressing which in and of itself can work as a simple marinade. But throw in the other ingredients and you've got yourself a seriously delicious piece of chicken. So good! From now on, I'm setting aside a bit of the dip every time I make it for this purpose!

1 comment:

keLi said...

Alas, alack, this brings back memories. Pretty sure this was served at the estrogen-filled bible study where we first met. Nervous chatter and finger foods ... I thought you were too quiet -- like a mousy church lady; you probably thought I was a nutcase. Luckily, only one of us was right. Funny how food triggers memory -- food AND beverages that are named for certain natural disasters, but that's a whole 'nother story.