Thursday, December 4, 2008

Pecan Pumpkin Filled Pancakes

I'm not usually big on specialty or novelty type pans. I stick to the basics when it comes to kitchen gadgets...for the most part. Of course, this is kind of required by my small kitchen, but it works for me. At first, this filled pancake pan from Williams-Sonoma was no different...I resisted the urge to buy it at least 2 times.

But then every month the Williams-Sonoma catalog would come and I would inadvertently tear out a mouthwatering recipe for filled pancakes...then when I went to make said pancakes, only then did I notice it required the filled pancake pan. Blast!

So a couple weeks ago after a trip around the Winter Park Farmers Market I broke down and bought the pan. I stuck to my guns and didn't buy the ready made batter for the pan that the clerk tried to sell me though. Big win, I know.

The first time I tried these Pecan Pumpkin Filled Pancakes....it didn't go so well. I skipped over the wooden skewer requirement thinking they couldn't possibly be THAT important...well they were. I ended up with pancakes sitting on top of their "filling." Jake said they were good, but I was pretty sure I'd made a big mistake buying that pan. Until this past weekend...

While the family was still in town I thought I would give it one more try before throwing in the towel. This time I was armed with wooden skewers and a little extra determination...and this time it worked! These pancakes are amazingly delicious. Definitely a special occasion flapjack! :) The batter itself is very light and fluffy and the warm pecan pumpkin butter filling was so decadent!

My dad played paparazzi while I worked so the pics below show some of the steps in creating these little masterpieces. After pouring a tablespoon of batter into each well and allowing the bottom of the pancake to begin to set, use wooden skewers to tilt the pancakes so that some of the batter flows out.


Then drop a teaspoon of the filling of your choice onto the pancakes...it worked best when I tucked the filling under the lip created by tilting the pancakes as show below.


After several tilts and flips, these little guys are ready to hit the table!

They look a lot like the official pic with the recipe, right? :)


1 comment:

Bellini Valli said...

These are very different from what I would expect of a pancake...a really special treat and they include pumpkin too:D