Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Molten Chocolate Cakes

I had high hopes for these little cakes...who doesn't love slightly underbaked cakes that ooze chocolatey goodness?! Top that with some homemade mint fudge sauce and a scoop of vanilla yogurt and that's pretty much as good as it gets.

I modified the recipe to just make 2 cakes...which gave me 2 chances to get it right. Well, the first cake looked like it was set but with a still slightly liquid center...But when I went to flip the cake out of its baking dish, I ended up with a runny mess. Clearly too underbaked.

So I put cake #2 back in for 5 more minutes. I was way excited when this one flipped out perfectly onto the plate and held its form.



If you look really closely (terrible pictures, I know) you can see the slightest bit of gooey center...yup, overbaked it this time.

But don't let my mishaps dissuade you from trying this recipe! The cakes themselves were very delicious and the mint fudge sauce was excellent! I've copied the original recipe below...but based on my oven and my experience I would recommend baking for 13-14 minutes. My cakes did come from the refrigerator since I had made them the night before.

Molten Chocolate Cakes with Mint Fudge Sauce
(Source: Bon Appetit, January 2001)

Sauce
4 1/2 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup hot water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

Cakes
5 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Vanilla ice cream

For sauce:Stir both chocolates in top of double boiler over barely simmering water until melted. Add 1/3 cup hot water, corn syrup and extract; whisk until smooth. Remove from over water. Cool slightly. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; chill. Before serving, rewarm in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.)

For cakes:Preheat oven to 450°F. Butter six 3/4-cup soufflĂ© dishes or custard cups. Stir chocolate and butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted. Cool slightly. Whisk eggs and egg yolks in large bowl to blend. Whisk in sugar, then chocolate mixture and flour. Pour batter into dishes, dividing equally. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
Bake cakes until sides are set but center remains soft and runny, about 11 minutes or up to 14 minutes for batter that was refrigerated. Run small knife around cakes to loosen. Immediately turn cakes out onto plates. Spoon sauce around cakes. Serve with ice cream (frozen yogurt).

No comments: