Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mini Ham and Cheese Frittatas

I've been stressing over what to prepare for my husband's company holiday breakfast buffet since I found out about it a week ago. I love breakfast and preparing breakfast food but this event presented a unique challenge. Normally, I would opt for one of our favorite breakfast casseroles...but that would require sending my favorite 9x13 pan that comes complete with plastic cover and a canvas carrying case complete with a warm pack or cold pack...and I just wasn't sure I'd ever see it again. And Jake asked that he be given "zero responsibility" so that meant finding something that didn't require a special serving dish or serving utensil.

So then I started thinking about baked goods....muffins, breads, etc. But then I figured that is what most people looking for something easily transported and served would be going for and you can't have a breakfast of champions made up only of muffins!

And that's when I came across this recipe for Mini Ham and Cheese Frittatas. A finger food but still "real" food. No serving dish or utensil required!

Obviously, we sampled a few and thought they were great! And knowing that they are a light version made it hard to stop at just at just a few! I doubled the recipe and got 45 mini frittatas...according to Cooking Light a serving size is 3 of these little guys.

Mini Frittatas with Ham and Cheese
(Source: Cooking Light, December 2001)

Cooking spray
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped reduced-fat ham (about 2 ounces)
1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 large egg whites
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add ham; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add ham mixture, stirring with a whisk. Spoon mixture into 24 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until set.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 39 (30% from fat) Fat: 1.3g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.1g) Protein: 4.4g Carbohydrate: 2.3g Fiber: 0.4g Cholesterol: 32mg Iron: 0.2mg Sodium: 121mg
Calcium: 80mg

No comments: