Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Cookies!

Tis the season for overindulging, right?! We got our Christmas tree up and decorated this past weekend, did the outside lights and got the house sufficiently festive....so there was only one thing left to do. Crank up the carols and bake some cookies!!

Susan of Food Blogga is hosting a fantastic Christmas cookie event again this year. Make sure you check her blog frequently to see all the amazing cookie recipes people are posting from all around the world. I love the holidays!!



For my contribution to the event, I finally got around to making Rachael Ray's Kahlua Chocolate Chunk cookies. If you've read other posts on my blog, you probably know I'm not a Ray fan...I am however, a Kahlua, chocolate and all things coffee fan. And these little treats did not disappoint!

They have a great coffee flavor that complements the semisweet and bittersweet chocolate chips...it is pretty much a mocha in cookie form...better yet, a spiked mocha in cookie form thanks to the Kahlua!

I'm hoping they freeze well so I can use them on Christmas plates for the neighbors this year! I had to hurry up and get them in the freezer so I'd keep my hands off them!


1 package dry chocolate chip cookie mix, 1 pound 1 1/2 ounces

7 tablespoons softened butter

1 large egg, beaten

4 tablespoons Kahlua or other coffee liqueur

3 tablespoons instant espresso or instant coffee crystals

1 tablespoon ground coffee beans

1 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks

4 ounces walnut pieces


1. Place racks in center of oven. In a mixing bowl, make a well in the center of dry chocolate chip cookie mix. Add softened butter, egg, Kahlua, instant coffee and ground coffee, chocolate chunks and walnuts. Mix well to combine all ingredients into cookie dough.

2. Scoop with a small scoop or by heaping tablespoons and drop cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased nonstick cookie sheet or sheets lined with parchment paper.

3. Bake cookies in batches 9 to 11 minutes at 375 or until crisp and browned at edges. Transfer to wire rack to cool and serve.

6 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I'm not a RR fan either, but I would never turn cookies with Kahlua in them! These sound decadent. Thanks a bunch!

Karen said...

We just finished some homemade Kahlua that I'm sure would work great in these cookies. This is a nice addition to the Christmas Cookies!

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo Kahlua in cookies! I must try these.

Basha Kibiloski said...

Hello Friend!
I'm going to make these for a Wagner Christmas party, and was wondering which dry cookie mix you preferred? Also, (just because J-dog isn't a huge coffee fan) do you think you could take out the ground coffee, leave the crystals, and it would still taste good?

Hope you're doing well. Miss yOu!

xo,
B

Christie Stump said...

Hey friend! I think the cookie mix I used was Duncan Hines and it worked well...I've not tried anything else but I'm sure whatever you find will be just fine.

And yes, these do have a strong coffee flavor so I think leaving out the coffee grounds would work well to keep it from being quite so strong!

Let me know how they turn out!! Hope to see you soon!!

Gloria Chadwick said...

I LOVE chocolate! I LOVE coffee! I LOVE Kahlua! I LOVE your cookies!