Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Chocolate Mint Squares

It just isn't the holiday season until I make these Chocolate Mint Squares. I just recently took over the tradition of making them on my own since I don't live close enough to my mom to swipe some of hers. But I remember always having these little treats at Christmas time...and they are a favorite.

I've tried many a mint square in my day, and I still think these are the best. I think it is because it calls for creme de menthe instead of peppermint extract. Which to me is the difference between an Andes mint and a Starlight peppermint...no contest in my book.

The tattered recipe card I have in my file credits the recipe to an old family friend...she was actually my babysitter when I was really small. But in doing a recipe search for something similar I came across the original recipe...and it's straight from the Hershey's test kitchen!

Chocolate Mint Squares

For the cake layer:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups (16-oz. can) HERSHEY'S Syrup

1. Heat oven to 350° F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

2. Combine flour, sugar, butter, eggs and syrup in large bowl; beat until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

For the mint layer:

Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter or margarine and 2 tablespoons green creme de menthe and beat until smooth. Spread over COMPLETELY cooled cake. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.

For the chocolate glaze:

Melt 6 tablespoons butter or margarine and 1 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips in small saucepan over very low heat. Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Pour over chilled dessert and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

I find it is best to let the bars return to room temperature before serving. These bars also freeze very well...so they're on the list to go in the neighbors gift baskets this year too!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yum. These were very m*#%t. LOL.

Southern Gal said...

I'm making these right now! They look so yummy!