Monday, October 20, 2008

Sorry, Andy Rooney...

Sunday evenings can be a real downer when you realize another work week is just around the corner. My husband still doesn't like to hear the ticking of the 60 Minutes clock because that sound ticked away the last few moments of his weekend before it was time for bed and then off to school. I think I still see him wince a bit when we pass that channel just in time to hear the ticking!

I like to try to plan ahead to make Sunday evening dinners special to soften the blow of back to work. Either I'll try a new recipe for a fancier type meal or go to a tried and true, favorite comfort food. This weekend I pulled out a recipe for New York Steaks with Boursin and Merlot Sauce that I found on epicurious.com a while back.

The boursin topped steak with the creamy red wine sauce made for a really nice presentation. It is one of those meals that looks like it should have taken a while in the kitchen to prepare but really just took minutes. I used a Shiraz that I had opened the night before and the sauce was excellent. Spreading the warm boursin over the top of the steak was a real treat (I used light boursin so it wasn't quite as indulgent as the original recipe). Overall, a very tasty way to prepare a strip steak...I think I'm going to try this sauce over filet some time too.

The recipe that follows makes 6 servings...I did some estimating and reduced the recipe to make enough sauce for two steaks...it never hurts to have a little extra sauce!

Strip Steaks with Boursin and Merlot Sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
6 9- to 10-ounce New York steaks, trimmed (about 1 inch thick)
1/2 of 5.2-ounce package Boursin or other French garlic-and-herb cheese, cut into 6 wedges
1 1/2 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) chilled butter, cut into small pieces
2 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives plus whole chives for garnish

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in each of 2 heavy large skillets over medium-high heat. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Add 3 steaks to each skillet; cook about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to platter; top each with 1 cheese wedge. Tent with foil to keep warm.

2. Pour off drippings from 1 skillet; add wine to skillet and boil over high heat until reduced to generous 1/2 cup, scraping up browned bits, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add butter and stir until melted. Mix in parsley and chopped chives. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over steaks. Garnish with whole chives.

2 comments:

Heather said...

we are coming over next sunday... and the next... and the next...

Southern Gal said...

Hi Christie! It's Shelley! Valerie's friend... How are you? V told me about your blog awhile back, & I've really enjoyed looking at your light recipes!

Sounds like you & Jake (& Deacon!) are doing well!