This past weekend we enjoyed one of those mornings with a couple of friends and enjoyed this breakfast casserole. I put most of it together the evening before which made for a really relaxing morning and time to have a second cup of coffee while it baked! I substituted chicken sausage for the regular sausage and used yellow onion since I didn't have any shallots at home. The combination of sun dried tomatoes, mozzarella and Italian sausage was delicious! And served with a fresh fruit salad, it definitely was a great way to start the day (you'll need the rest of the day to work it off!!)!
Sausage and Egg Casserole with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Mozzarella
(Source: Bon Appetit, April 2002)
1 pound Italian sweet chicken sausage, casings removed
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
5 large eggs
5 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 cup half and half
1 cup whipping cream
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Sauté sausage in nonstick skillet over medium heat until brown and cooked through, breaking into small pieces, about 10 minutes.
2. Add onions and garlic and sauté 3 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and 2 tablespoons parsley; stir 1 minute.
3. Spread sausage mixture in buttered 13x9x2 dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
4. Whisk eggs, egg yolks, half and half, whipping cream, 1 1/2 cups cheese, and salt in large bowl to blend well.
5. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture in dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley over.
6. Bake at 375 until top of casserole is golden brown and knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.