Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Veal Scaloppine with Gorgonzola Sauce

I've always really liked veal (as long as I don't think too long about what it is!) And it was always one of those things I liked to order when we went out because "I never make that at home." Now that I found this delicious recipe, I can't say that anymore! The sauce for this dish was excellent...the strong cheese, with fresh basil and tomatoes was so tasty! This was a little more involved than the recipes I usually undertake on a weeknight, but it was well worth it! I think the sauce would be good over pork or chicken too.

I actually halved the recipe shown below and it made 2 good portions. We had the veal and sauce over whole wheat spaghetti...I wanted to make sure we had a way to soak up any leftover sauce! :)

Veal Scaloppine with Gorgonzola
(Source: Bon Appetit, April 1999)

1 cup beef broth
1 cup chicken broth
1 pound veal scaloppine
All purpose flour
3 tablespoons (about) olive oil
1 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup chopped, seeded tomatoes
6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese


1. Boil both stocks in medium saucepan until reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

2. Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper. Dredge veal in flour to coat; shake off excess. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Working in batches, add veal and sauté until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer veal to platter; tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining veal, adding more oil to skillet as necessary.

3. Add reduced stock mixture, cream, 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 4 tablespoons basil and tomato paste to skillet. Simmer until reduced to sauce consistency, whisking frequently, about 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup Gorgonzola; stir until melted.

4. Pour sauce over veal. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoons basil and 1/3 cup Gorgonzola.

No comments: