Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Summer Colds

For the first time in 28 years, I was sick on my birthday. Thanks to a fabulous summer cold, I spent most of the day feeling like my head weighed 10,000 lbs. My husband tells me the cake was good, and I'm hoping it's still good when I regain my sense of taste! :)





In an even more amazing twist of luck, I had to call Poison Control on my own behalf this morning. I finally decided to take my temperature since I've been feeling feverish...so i did but when I pull the thermometer out it read 93 or something ridiculously low. So I'm thinking, well that's unusual...And then I notice the tip of the thermometer is broken. But to make entirely sure I dump the cap over (I do my best rational thinking first thing in the morning) and out comes the mercury and the glass tip. Mercury! Hooray!

So I look up on the internet how to clean up mercury and read about how I should pretty much get my affairs in order because I've likely ingested it and I've definitely touched it. I'm supposed to have goggles, rubber gloves, an eyedropper and a full hazmat suit according to the sites I found...and sadly, have none of those at home. So I'm freaking out, cleaning up mercury with some tape and ziploc baggies and my husband is asking me if he should take me to the hospital. I have no idea because I already feel sick and the internet says a symptom of mercury poisoning is short term memory loss!!?! So how do I know if I have it?! Anyway, my husband gets poison control on the phone, and I have to explain the whole sordid affair to them. Turns out the mercury in thermometers is ok (it's elemental mercury) and will just pass through my system if I did ingest any. I wanted to reach through the phone and hug the lady on the other end. And then I went out and bought a digital thermometer.

In other news, Deacon enjoyed the day. He got a new, blue dinosaur so he wouldn't feel left out! And I think it must be a birthday miracle because the dino is still intact.


This is what he did with his last stuffed toy in just under 5 minutes.






3 comments:

Heather said...

Goodness Gracious- I'd say your 07/07/07 birthday luck has run out! :)
Hope you feel better soon!

Kara said...

Boo!

But if I may be so rude as to ask WHAT that brownie/dessert thing is staring at me! That looks amazing... were you able to save it so you could taste it later?

Christie Stump said...

That, my friend, is Chocolate Tiramisu from Charley's Bakery. Unfortunately, Charley's is all to conveniently located on my way home from work so I'm a frequent shopper. :) The tiramisu was good...but no where near as good as the piece of German Chocolate Cake I picked up at the same time! :)