Monday, July 21, 2008

Pasta Free Lasagna

Looking ahead to trips to Key West and to the Dominican Republic, we decided it was probably time to be a little more proactive in cutting a few calories here and there. We eat healthy throughout the week, but tend to overcompensate on the weekend...which tends to not be a great weight maintenance plan believe it or not!

So last week I went in search of new Weight Watchers recipes. I've always been a big fan of Weight Watchers and it's focus on eating well and making good, healthy choices. Plus, I know that if I stick to it, the weight comes off and I never feel deprived of anything. In my search, I stumbled across these guys and their "Everyday Gourmet" recipes for Weight Watchers.

We tried out the Pasta-Free Lasagna last night. I have to confess I didn't even take pictures because I had very little confidence it was going to turn out well. I was completely surprised by this little recipe! The "lasagna" had a good flavor...I did make some adjustments to the sauce, and the fact that it uses tons o' fat free mozzarella probably helps. Put enough cheese on anything and it's bound to be good, right? :) I can see this being a sort of fall back recipe to use leftover veggies lying around the kitchen.

Pasta Free Lasagna

3 large zucchini
Nonstick cooking spray
1 T salt
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 large beefsteak tomatoes, chopped
2 T fresh minced basil leaves
1 t dried oregano
2 dashes all spice
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 lb shredded Fat Free Mozzarella

1. Slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/8 inch thick strips. Place in a bowl and salt generously, tossing once or twice to coat well. Lay strips on paper towels on your counter and set aside for 1 hour.

2. Meanwhile, spray a large saucepan with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 20 seconds.

3. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, oregano, allspice, crushed pepper flakes, and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to break down and the sauce thickens, about 25 minutes.

4. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350.

5. Blot moisture off the zucchini strips with paper towels. Use one third of the zucchini strips to line the bottom of a 2.5 qt baking pan. Top evenly with one third of the sauce and then one third of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers two more times.

6. Bake, uncovered, until bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.

Just 3 points per serving! Recipe makes 6 servings.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You have been very busy my friend! It all looks tasty as always!