Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Barbecue Chicken Pizza!

I'm going to have trouble finding time to post over the next few days so I wanted to go ahead and get this recipe up!


I'm a big fan of specialty pizzas and LOVE trying new combinations of toppings at local pizza places. I'm the one that always orders ham and pineapple from Papa John's simply because that's the most exotic thing they offer! :) One of my favorite types of pizza is barbecue chicken...so this week we thought we'd try to create our own version at home!


We have a go-to pizza crust recipe that always turns out great so we started with that. And then we summoned our powers of total recall to try to remember our favorite barbecue chicken pizzas and what made them great. At California Pizza Kitchen, it's the smoked gouda! At Schlotsky's Deli (random, I know) it's the sliced jalapenos! And obviously the actual barbecue sauce used is key! I could go on and on but you get the idea.


So here it is, our Barbecue Chicken Pizza! I have to say, one of the best I've had! :)


Pizza Dough (see recipe link above)
2 large chicken breasts
2 T Olive Oil
1 bottle Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
7 oz smoked gouda, shredded
1/4 cup chopped red onion
Sliced jalapenos (I used pre-sliced, jarred jalapenos so I'm not entirely sure how many!)
Cilantro


1. Prepare pizza dough and set aside to allow to rise.

2. Cook chicken in olive oil in medium skillet until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Allow to rest 5 minutes and then slice into strips. Further slice the strips into chunks if you like smaller bites of chicken like we do.

3. Toss chicken in just enough barbecue sauce to lightly coat.

4. Spread barbecue sauce over prepared pizza crust leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges. Just eyeball the quantity you spread until it looks right!

5. Top sauce with 3/4 of the shredded gouda. Then add chicken and red onions. Finally, top with remaining cheese, and sprinkle with jalapenos and cilantro.

6. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes and enjoy!

3 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I love, love, love bbq sauce on pizza. Have you ever tried it with grilled corn and onions too? Mmm....

Heather said...

this is my kind of recipe! looks great. By the way- WHERE ARE YOU TODAY?!?!?!?

Christie Stump said...

Grilled corn sounds like an amazing addition to bbq chicken pizza! I'll have to try that next time!