Monday, July 14, 2008

Balsamic Berries Over Vanilla Yogurt

I came across this recipe a while back on epicurious. I guess that goes without saying since it's from a July 1990 Bon Appetit! While I've always had a sweet tooth, I wasn't quite reading foodie magazines at the age of 10. I did make a mean homemade ice cream using my Barbie Ice Cream Shoppe around that time though!


The idea of combining balsamic vinegar and strawberries intrigued me...and I had all of these ingredients at home. Seeing the Sugar High Fridays Berries post on Susan's blog gave me the final push of motivation to try this out after dinner tonight. I used vanilla yogurt instead of ice cream to make it a bit lighter...and substituted allspice for the ground cloves. The result was a really refreshing, tasty dessert with just the right amount of sweetness!


Balsamic Berries Over Vanilla Yogurt
(Makes 2 servings)

1/2 1 pint basket strawberries, sliced
1 T balsamic vinegar
2 T sugar
2 T pine nuts
2 pinches of ground allspice
Vanilla Frozen Yogurt


1. Combine berries, vinegar, and 1 T sugar in a small bowl.

2. Combine remaining 1 T sugar, pine nuts and allspice in a heavy skillet. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar is melted and pine nuts are golden brown.

3. Scoop vanilla yogurt into bowls, top with strawberries, then pine nuts. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I am just smitten with strawberries and balsamic vinegar, and adding creaming vanilla yogurt just puts me right over the top! Thanks for the simple yet chic recipe, Christie.

Alexa said...

This looks light and lovely, perfect with the yogurt.