Thursday, June 19, 2008

Stump's Steakhouse

After a couple of lighter seafood dinners this week, I was really looking forward to a nice big steak last night! I found a great looking rib eye recipe through epicurious made up of basic ingredients I already had at home. The balsamic reduction was a great complement to the coarsely ground pepper rub and made the rib eye very flavorful. We prepared the steak as directed in the skillet, but then threw it on the grill for just a minute because I'm pretty sure everything tastes better when it's been grilled!

(Source: Gourmet, May 2000)

2 T whole black peppercorns

4 (3/4 inch thick) boneless rib-eye steaks

1 T olive oil

2 T unsalted butter

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar


1. Coarsely grind peppercorns using a mortar and pestle (or if you're like me and don't have a mortar and pestle...i know, the horror...use any old heavy object in your kitchen!).

2. Pat steaks dry, season with salt, and coat both sides with peppercorns, pressing to adhere.

3. Heat oil with 1 T butter in 12 inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Reduce heat to moderate and cook steaks, 2 at a time, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.

4. Transfer steaks to a platter. Add vinegar to skillet and boil over high heat while scraping up brown bits. Simmer vinegar until reduced by 1/2.

5. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining T of butter until melted. Drizzle over steaks.


The picture may look like your typical steak...but trust me, it was excellent!

4 comments:

Kara said...

Okay - so next can you do a post on how you selected your cut of meat? I think that's one of my biggest fears (and therefore I just stick to the easies... chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, fish, etc)... how did you know which was a good rib-eye and even before that, why a rib-eye versus another cut?

MC said...

DUDE! Your posts are incredible! How do you have time to cook these amazing dinners and write all your posts? I am shamed! I have a backlog of things to write up!!

Basha Kibiloski said...

So... I made the ribeye for J lastnight. I rubbed some McCormick grill seasoning on it before putting it in the skillet. Then, while it was cooking, I used the EVOO and butter to baste it. J loved it! I think the basting is the trick.

Question: when I selected the ribeye, I looked for the one w/ the best coloration and marbling, and one with the bone in. It seemed tender, but a little fatty. How do you select yours?

Christie Stump said...

Hey there! I select my rib eye based on coloring and marbling so it sounds like we have the same technique! I think that because rib eye steaks come from the rib section it has some extra fat than other cuts...which makes it more tender and flavorful but still more on the fatty side. My J can spot fat a mile a way so he picks his way around a rib eye very carefully! :)