Monday, June 9, 2008

South of the Border Breakfast

I love Mexican food. LOVE it. Unfortunately, we haven't found a Mexican restaurant in Orlando that we really like yet. So I end up making a lot of Mexican dishes at home. This breakfast sandwich is your typical bacon, egg, and cheese....topped with chunky guacamole. I'm on board with anything involving guacamole!

South of the Border Breakfast Sandwich


1/2 cup egg beaters (or 2 large egg whites)
2 pieces of cheese
2 slices of bacon, cooked and halved
2 whole wheat english muffins
1/2 avocado (sprinkle with fresh lemon juice), coarsely chopped
1 green onion, chopped
5 dashes of hot pepper sauce
1 small tomato, seeded and small diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste


1. Prepare the guacamole topping by combining avocado, green onion, hot pepper sauce, tomato, red onion, salt and pepper. Set aside.


2. Season egg whites with salt and pepper and poach to desired doneness. I cheated and used the microwave poacher....easiest way I know to get fluffy eggs quickly!

3. Toast English muffins and top with eggs, cheese, bacon and then guacamole. Enjoy!




2 comments:

Kara said...

You're a genius - you figured out a way to get to eat guac for breakfast? We are obsessed with guac, though we've slowed down on our consumption lately (stupid avocados are so pricey sometimes). I prefer egg whites to egg beaters though I do miss the yellow color. :-)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hi Christie,
I'm so glad you're enjoying my blog. And welcome to blogging! I think you're gonna love it. Do you have good Cuban restaurants like Miami does? Even if you don't find a good Mexican place, it looks like you're in good hands with that breakfast. I so need to get a poacher.