Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sweet Vidalia

Some recipes are more sentimental than anything else. This Vidalia Onion Casserole is one of those for me. When this dish starting showing up on the dinner table it meant school was almost out for the summer. And we got to start eating out on the porch....which was always a big deal to me for some reason.


I'm not entirely sure where this "recipe" came from or if it even qualifies as a recipe! But having it last night for dinner made me excited about summer time and made me want to take dinner outside (the 90+ degree weather and torrential downpour prevented that though)!


Vidalia Onion Casserole

2 Vidalia Onions, sliced

4 T butter

1 Sleeve Reduced Fat Ritz Crackers, crumbled

1 3/4 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar

1. Saute onions in melted butter until tender.

2. Place 1/2 of onions in small, greased casserole dish.

3. Top with 1/2 of crumbled Ritz crackers and then 1/2 of cheese.

4. Repeat layers and bake at 325 for 20 minutes, or until browned.

I honestly don't know why I bothered with the Reduced Fat Ritz...maybe a little bit of guilt since I work in a cardiovascular surgery practice and this side dish isn't exactly heart healthy! :) But it is tasty!

*The weather last night put a damper on our plans to grill chicken. So instead, I used the same pan that I used to cook the onions and seasoned the chicken with a little freshly ground pepper and rosemary. It turned out wonderfully with that little bit of sauteed onion flavor cooked in!

No comments: