But clinging to the fact that "tomatoes attached to the vine appear to be safe", I couldn't resist trying out these blue cheese tomatoes the other night with our rib-eye steaks. Surely after a thorough washing and grilling over indirect high heat we're safe, right? So far so good....
I don't typically mess around with food poisoning, but for these tomatoes, I just might be convinced to do it again! They were so simple but looked so fancy. And the melty blue cheese topping mixed with breadcrumbs and a bit of olive oil was perfect over the warm, grilled tomato. The leftovers were great with our blue cheese burgers last night!
Blue Cheese Crusted Tomatoes
(Source: Bon Appetit, July 2008)
1. Heat the grill to high leaving on side unlit.
2. Mix 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs and 1 T olive oil in a small bowl, mashing to coat.
3. Cut top 1/4 from each of 12 medium tomatoes.
4. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper and top with 1 T of blue cheese. Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture.
5. Arrange tomatoes on unlit side of grill. Cover grill and cook tomatoes until slightly soft and cheese melts, about 13 minutes. Serve immediately.