Friday, June 20, 2008

Living on the Edge

I think I was probably the last person in America to hear about the salmonella/tomato outbreak. I tried to order a tomato and mozzarella flatbread at Seasons52 on Sunday and was shut down! Oops! :)

But clinging to the fact that "tomatoes attached to the vine appear to be safe", I couldn't resist trying out these blue cheese tomatoes the other night with our rib-eye steaks. Surely after a thorough washing and grilling over indirect high heat we're safe, right? So far so good....

I don't typically mess around with food poisoning, but for these tomatoes, I just might be convinced to do it again! They were so simple but looked so fancy. And the melty blue cheese topping mixed with breadcrumbs and a bit of olive oil was perfect over the warm, grilled tomato. The leftovers were great with our blue cheese burgers last night!


Blue Cheese Crusted Tomatoes
(Source: Bon Appetit, July 2008)



1. Heat the grill to high leaving on side unlit.

2. Mix 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs and 1 T olive oil in a small bowl, mashing to coat.

3. Cut top 1/4 from each of 12 medium tomatoes.

4. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper and top with 1 T of blue cheese. Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture.

5. Arrange tomatoes on unlit side of grill. Cover grill and cook tomatoes until slightly soft and cheese melts, about 13 minutes. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Totally agree with MC - you are the food blog champ! Where do you find the time to make new recipes every weeknight?

So... we've tried fish tacos before with some left-over tilapia I had once, and I wasn't convinced... do you have a good recipe/method? I like everything else Mexican, I really WANT to like fish tacos too!

Christie Stump said...

Haha, I think my work hours help out with having time in the evenings! I get bored with recipes easily so I'm always looking for something new!

This is my first attempt at fish tacos...planning on grilling tilapia throwing in some salsa verde and other mexican fixin's and seeing what happens! Stay tuned... :)