Thursday, June 26, 2008

Improv

I'm a "follow the rules" type of girl. So in the kitchen, I rarely veer away from a recipe. I'm finding, though, that the more time I spend cooking and baking the less I am measuring carefully and precisely and the more I'm channeling my inner wild child. Work with me here...I already said I'm a rule follower.

I was a little overzealous in my fruit purchases last week and so I found myself with very ripe raspberries and strawberries by the weekend. Throwing caution and my cookbook to the wind, I decided to come up with my own sort of cobbler/crisp to put the berries to use. Very dramatic stuff here.

Overall, I was pleased with the result. My husband thought it needed a little more sweetness and I thought it was maybe a little too sweet...and usually we're the opposite of that so I'm not sure what that means! :) Next time I will use a smaller baking pan to get a thicker crisp, too.




Strawberry & Raspberry Crisp


1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved
12 oz raspberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter, melted
Dash of cinnamon


1. Combine strawberries, raspberries and granulated sugar to make filling. Pour into greased 13x9 pan.


2. Combine remaining dry ingredients until well mixed. Add melted butter and mash into dry ingredients until crumbly.


3. Spoon the crumbly mixture over the fruit and bake at 350 for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.


And finally, here's a picture of Deacon during his first day at daycare!

2 comments:

keLi said...

Proud of you for stepping out of your bondage to recipe legalism, little friend. Perhaps not surprisingly, recipe rule-bending has never been an issue for me. I have long been a member of the eyeball measurement, "sure throw some of that stuff in" culinary school. Although, I'm sure you remember it was that school that brought you the spaghetti and meatball-turned-mini hamburger beef stroganoff supper back in the day at our condo. So apparently, as in most of life's arenas, there are limits to how far you can push the envelope.

What a big boy Deacon is -- his first day of daycare! We totally need to get him and Beckham together for some on-all-fours fun times! Too bad my guy slobbers more than yours...

Heather said...

LOVE that you can stalk Deacon while at work!