Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fish Taco Fiesta!

I've admitted to my love of Mexican food on here already...probably more than once. And since I've been trying to prepare more seafood at home, fish tacos seemed like a great dinner solution!

This was my first fish taco recipe...and I don't think I need to look any further! These tacos were so delicious! I used a Bon Appetit recipe but I didn't make the mayonnaise sauce. And we didn't miss it at all! Between the salsa verde (I used store bought but the original recipe includes preparing your own salsa verde), avocado and other fixings there was plenty of flavor!

Tilapia Tacos
(Adapted from Bon Appetit, May 2008)

1 lb tilapia
2 cups chopped white onion
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup oil
3 T fresh lime juice
3 T fresh orange juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t dried oregano
Corn tortillas
2 avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
Lettuce Shreds
Salsa Verde

1. Stir 1 cup onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, oil, lime juice, orange juice, garlic and oregano together in medium bowl.

2. Sprinkle fish with coarse salt and pepper. Spread half of onion mixture in the bottom of a 2 qt casserole dish. Arrange fish on top of onion mixture and spoon remaining onion mixture over fish. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Flip fish, cover and chill for 30 more minutes.

3. Brush grill grate with oil and heat to medium high.

4. Grill fish for 3-5 minutes per side.

5. Grill tortillas until slightly charred (about 15 seconds per side)

6. Coarsely chop fish and serve with tortillas, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, lettuce and salsa.

Here are pics of the taco I built and the taco my husband built! I'll let you guess which is which!


With a side of black beans with onions and some hot sauce, this was a great Mexican dinner at home! Deacon brought the beer! :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Deacon is quite the party animal! These sound so tasty. Can't wait for your guac on Thursday night.